Friday, September 28, 2012

The "honeymoon" is over

So it's been nearly a month for me in this incredible country already. I'm not surely sure how to describe it or if I even can. In the midst of traveling for the first three weekends and now have three weeks off before the next trip to Barcelona, I will definitely have time to just indulge in the culture here.

For a recap, I've learned that the seafood is a little crude, bread and starch are main courses for every meal and that gypsies don't talk, and definitely don't want to be spoken to.

The weather is also turning here, contrary to the popular belief of the students that it would remain a summer vacation forever. With this sign of turn in the weather has come the "rainy" season of Spain, it has now rained for two days in a row. As is the weather outside, I find myself swamped with three papers and a book to read over the weekend, yes all in Spanish, but none the less we will find some time for adventure and especially in this culture, I should have plenty of time to rest because no one wants to work too hard and miss their siestas.

I only have one story to summarize my mood and will summarize a little bit of the culture.

My third day of work at the FEDETO, which is essentially a government consulting firm for businesses and the department I'm in is the international department where we help businesses get their products to foreign markets, I am assigned my first project. After reviewing the guidelines and deadlines and discussing about what some businesses need here, my boss immediately declared it was time to take a break and that was enough work for the morning....it was time to get café and socialize with the locals.

Roughly an hour later I was able to begin my project, just before another hault occurred and it was time for siesta. I must say it was a strenuous day at work.

But I have realized that people care more about their relationships and family and actually put those first than that of some work. Of course, we all know the economy is a little hard here these days and I even question why their taking this "much needed" rest from the problems and taking a siesta but it has been incredibly valuable.

I have felt more awake, more rested and more productive than I could have thought from taking little breaks in the day.

As my boss told me one day, it is good to get some air and breath every once in awhile, and I couldn't agree more. Coming from a culture that is work hard.....until you die, maybe that's a little extreme, but to a culture that is much more intentional relationally in some capacities, it has been quite the eye opener.

So I hope everyone may find rest in their work day and get some air once in awhile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment