Wednesday, September 12, 2012

More Silence than usual

I am now through the first two days of my classes and as I never imagined, it seems there is more Spanish everyday. I don't know if that's me absorbing more of the language or my brain telling me there is an abundance of it and please stop!

It is amazing though, even though it's only been one week, immersing myself in Spanish has been one of the most challenging but rewarding things as well. Although at times I really want to zone out or just wait to chat in English and figure out what the instructions were, I know that would not lead me to my ultimate goal of becoming fluent in Spanish.

I read another friends blog this morning and he said a result is a byproduct of consistently doing right things.

Well, I hope I can do the right thing in my mind, which is to embrace this culture and practice this language as much as I possibly can.

With that said, there have been a few other byproducts of this culture that I was fairly unaware of until spending this past week in it.

Silence.

For the most part, I knew that Spanish culture had a siesta, but I did not know the full meaning or beauty of it until I came to Spain! I feel like I find myself with much more time to be silent and let thoughts calm down throughout my day. It is something in the US I feel is greatly missed and is why I feel many people have stress that just builds and builds.

I know it's a small byproduct but it has significantly made my experience in Spain so much better as I can remain calm and not overwhelmed with goals I would like to accomplish for the day.

See if you can take a siesta today and experience a little bit of silence. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment