Monday, November 19, 2012

Just the past couple of days

So this past weekend i had a pretty good trip to Segovia, Spain. It's located just to the northwest of Madrid and it was a very beautiful city. It seemed very different from Toledo but at the same time you still knew you were in Spain.

With just this short day trip to Segovia, the weekend brought a lot of time to reflect on the trip so far and just on life in general. The question always comes up, where do you want to be in 5 years. I'm a huge dreamer so people could ask me ten different times and I'd give them a different answer each time. I think while I was reading a fellow bloggers post I got my answer. One of my best friends from high school has a girlfriend who is teaching in Georgia. Not the state, the country. She was traveling and met a fellow American and asked him what he was doing and where he was going. The guy said he didn't know but he had plans to be in India by sometime next month. She then asked what he was going to do when he got there and he said something along the lines of, "I'm not sure yet, I'll find out once I get there." Cha ching!

Not to steal her story or anything but I just found it very comforting and it was as if God was just like, here's your answer man! The reality is, I don't have an answer of where exactly I want to be in 5 years but as I read in that blog, I guess I'll find out once I get there. Obviously I would like to have some sort of income that I could support myself and possibly a wife but we'll just find out when we get there!

That is one thing that I have learned here is just taking advantage of every day and just learning how to live for this day. With so many experiences that I could possibly have here every day, I try not to waste time worrying about what's going on tomorrow or the next. Not to say I don't get excited for upcoming trips, but you know what I mean.

I feel lately, there has just been a little storm of this going on because picking out classes to set up the last two semesters of my college and then thinking oh man, what about after that.....well I guess I'll just worry about it when I get there. As for now, with only 30 days or so left here, my time will be better served really trying to dive in even more into this culture and the people here and just live life one day at a time!

Hopefully that's not too cliche but just some of thoughts from this weekend. They pretty much all happened on a walk that I took just through a park in my house. It was probably one of the most relaxing times I've had since I've been here because it was an incredibly beautiful day and just to have silence and reflect was incredible.

So, I am very excited for these next 30 days to come. The one thing I am experiencing for the first time in my life is the LACK of anticipation for Christmas here in Spain. I think they got it somewhat right when they decided not to spend half their income on Christmas unlike some of us in the US. Not to judge but it was very humbling when I was asking my house mom about Christmas and asked if she was going to get the kids anything and she said no because of the crisis. Also, that it was not a big deal, kids usually got one or two things for Christmas and it was just a celebration with the family and that's about it. Very humbling.

Regardless, it's a great learning experience for me, but definitely an aspect I miss of my own culture!

Time for class but I'll post on here sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment