Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Typical Spring Fever

Wow! I feel I'm on the slippery slope of procrastination once again. Instead of studying for a small quiz on Friday, I have decided to turn to the blog. Today was the biggest day of "Spring Fever" the campus has seen so far but it was beautiful. I got done with three classes in the morning and found out the fourth one of the afternoon was cancelled, unreal. A class cancelled in what seemed to be 80 degree weather. The boys and I decided to head out to the quad in between our dorms and what we found there was incredible. Campus was alive! We all paused a little bit and just took in the scene of everyone out doing homework, playing sports, or going for walks, together. My friend Zach turned to me and goes, "How awesome is this? Just everyone out together enjoying life." It was truly beautiful. It did not matter how bad you were at basketball, volleyball, or throwing the football, you were in the game. Everyone was out having a good time. I ended up spending the day from about noon to six out in the quad, without a care in the world. I couldn't help but think, now reflecting back, how much I feel that sense to be in community. It is so strong and especially in moments like out in the quad today. Why can't we be that inclusive in everything we do? What would it look like to consistently live in inclusive community? To not have a care how bad someone is at something, but knowing the only important thing is that they're out there, living right along with you? I know this is something that I definitely need to work on. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to include people or that I did not put any effort to really extend out to other people, whether that be in simply going out to eat or joining a certain team or group. I think we should all try and be a little more inclusive, cause who cares how good or bad someone is at something, what matters is that they're living right along with you, and you with them. Some more beauty awaits us, cause we are definitely made for inclusive community.

2 comments: