Sunday, April 17, 2011

Actions and passion...(in what?)

Sorry it's been awhile, this last week was a roller coaster of adventure. At times I wanted to quit school and head out to Africa, after a short talk with some friends I reluctantly decided to stay. In short, the week consisted of an Adviser meeting on Tuesday to figure out my "life". I should know by now that life doesn't go according to my plan, and this meeting was no exception! I was advised into a math class that did not qualify for the Economics major that I wanted, so I'm back on my original track of Communications, with Management and Spanish minors and miraculously I have some peace with it. The week continued to rain down with a Sociology Paper on my family, an Econ midterm, and a two day Spanish test. As I crawled out of Thursday and into Friday it was off to Chicago for my student staff Young Life conference. It was incredible. Just filled with so much worship and praise as well as leadership training and the chance to sleep at home for a couple of nights, I could not have asked for anything better. God placed many things on my heart this weekend, but I feel the most important was passion. In one of our sermons, a leader defined passion as having enough love that you would die for that person or thing. The question was asked, What is my life portraying? Are my actions portraying what I am most passionate about? Do I even know what I'm most passionate about? All of these questions came flooding into my mind, What/who do I love enough to die for? As we continued to look at the example Christ had laid down, I was struck by the pure mercy of it all. I came to the realization, I'm not laying my life down for the things I'm most passionate for. I'm not laying my life down for the people I love. Now don't get me wrong here, I try to love the people the best I can, and honestly I struggle with what that looks like in some situations. But are my actions truly showing my passion. I feel I need to ask myself this question in everything I do, how can I be passionate about what I'm doing? Are my actions being passionate for people, and loving on everyone involved? Imagine a world where everyone was acting on what they were passionate about. I feel many people, including myself, hide away from what they're passionate about for some reason. I find in myself it is mainly fear of judgement, what are others going to think about whatever it is I'm doing. The truth is that doesn't matter. What matters is acting out your passions that Christ has given you. Where are your passions? How can you act on them? Take the first step, let Christ illuminate the path for you, one step at at time. Time to think about where I'm starting. Goodnight!

1 comment: